Fallout from State Board of Education President's offensive and ignorant Facebook post, comparing President Obama to Hilter spread far and wide yesterday.
The latest development has a tepid statement from the Governor's spokesperson saying "the governor has no comment about Terhar’s posting and no plan to remove her as board president". A true profile in courage and leadership.
The Ohio Department of education had its head resign over a serious ethics violation, and the current acting superintendent and his deputy are reportedly applying for district level jobs. Education leadership in Ohio is in disarray. Now the governor expects education professionals to take the State Board of Education President seriously after this disgraceful incident? Certainly her fellow board members don't think so
Ann Jacobs, a board member from Lima, said the board is supposed to be nonpartisan but Terhar’s posting is the latest sign of how partisan it’s gotten in recent years.
Here's a sampling of some of the coverage
- Kasich Won’t Remove Terhar (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Liberal Groups Call for School Board President’s Resignation Over Facebook Post (State Impact)
- Ohio Democrats Call For School Official’s Resignation After Hitler Post (10TV)
- Ohio Education Official’s Web Post Draws Criticism (AP)
- State School Board President: “I’m Not Comparing the President to Hitler” (TPM)
- Debe Terhar, Ohio School Board of Education President, Criticized for Obama-Hitler Comparison (Huffington Post)
- Ohio School Board President Defends Her Posting of Hitler Image on Facebook (Cleveland Leader)
- Democrats Call for School Board President’s Resignation (City Beat)
- Ohio Dems Call On “Kasich’s Hand-Picked State School Board President” Debe Terhar to Resign (Plunderbund)
Her continued presence on the board brings disgrace to the State Board of Education, Ohio's education system and all the professionals who strive everyday to bring excellence to educating Ohio's young people.