The Annenberg Institute for School Reform at Brown University recently published a paper titled "Straight Talk on Teaching Quality: Six Game-Changing Ideas and What to Do About Them" , described this guide as being "about game-changing strategies for improving teacher effectiveness".
The six headlines (organized around "The problem, what needs to happen, who is doing something good, and what can I do) are:
- Follow Your Bliss: Career Pathways for Teachers
- Evaluation Nation: Multiple Ways of Measuring Performance
- Support for Teachers, Not Just Rewards and Sanctions: Why Firing Teachers Won't Lead to Large-Scale Improvement
- Environmentally Friendly: Why School Culture and Working Conditions Matter
- No Teacher is an Island: the Importance of In-School Partnerships and Teacher Collaboration
- No School Is an Island: Partnerships with Parents and Community
It's a short read, and worth the time.